Wednesday 14 April 2010

Flashback 1: My first novel

My first novel started as a dream. In 1996 I woke up and I remembered this dream. It was a strange dream and to make sure I wouldn't forget, I started to write the dream down. And I kept on writing. After 15 minutes I realised this was a book. I just had to write it. And I did.
During this writing process I didn't feel as a storyteller, I felt like a reporter. Writing down what I 'saw' happening. And the story became bigger and deeper, with storylines that started a life of their own. I had NO idea how the book was going to end. But somehow, in the end, all the storylines came together and even made sense:-)


The story was placed at Lake Winnipeg, Canada. I don't know why, it just did:-) I'd never been to Lake Winnepeg, but while writing I felt I was there. I wrote some details about the area and family names and to make sure I wasn’t ‘full of it’, I decided to run an add in a local newspaper. A few nice guys, living at the lake, responded and every detail matched reality.
It was one more confirmation that ‘something’ had helped me writing this book and I was convinced I would find a publisher. But I didn’t. Confused and disappointed I put the book on the shelf and that was that.


In August 2002 I joined a discussion on my message board about ‘following your dream’ and I told this group of people about my book – well, manuscript – and the whole process around it. And they became very excited, motivating me to look for a publisher again. This time I had some enthusiastic response, but somehow nothing really worked out. Now I became frustrated. What message did I overlook?
The answer came from Henry and was very clear: why wait for someone else? Why not publish it yourself? Answer: well…for starters, I would need a lot of money. That we didn’t have.
Henry: be creative.
And somehow this idea was there: to ask people to buy a book that wasn’t a book yet. We calculated that we needed 30 people to make this happen. On November 4th 2003 I share our idea on the message board. On November 5th we went to bed with 46 orders in our pocket. On November 28th we had 117 payments and the book is now really a book. And still selling.
Today I’m writing on my second novel and fourth book. And it’s the same process. I feel like a reporter and the characters in the book feel very real to me. That’s one of the reasons I love writing. I feel so connected and I am discovering new worlds inside of me, when I write.
I never had the opportunity to connect with fellow-writers to share this passion and that is one of the blessings this Next Top Spiritual Author adventures brings me. And I’m loving every minute of it!


In gratitude and awe,
Syl

No comments:

Post a Comment